Last modified: 2012-04-07 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio de janeiro | cordeiro |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Francisco de Assis Seixas,
2 July 2006
Vertically divided, approximately 1:2 blue and white, with the municipal arms centered on the white field.
The municipality of Cordeiro (20,403 inhabitants in 2010; 116 sq. km) is located in central Rio de Janeiro Province, 190 km of Rio de Janeiro. Cordeiro was established on the left bank of river Macuco, near the Cordeiro estate owned by the pioneer Manoel Rosendo Cordeiro, who ceded part of his land for the building of the Leopoldina railway to Cantagalo. The railway station was inaugurated in 1875. A small settlement emerged in 1883, whose quick growth caused the establishment in 1890 of the district of Cordeiro, part of the municipality of Cantagalo. The municipality of Cordeiro was established on 24 March 1891 but suppressed on 8 May 1892. This did not prevent Cordeiro to become in 1920 the main center of trade in the central north Rio de Janeiro Province; a business park was created in 1922 around the Nossa Senhora da Piedade cloth mill. The municipality of Cordeiro was reestablished by Decree No. 55 of 31 December 1943.
The symbols of Cordeiro are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 98 of 27
The flag (Article 2) is vertically divided blue-white (1:2) with the
municipal coat of arms in the white stripe. The stripes represent the
two districts forming the municipality, Macuco (blue) and Cordeiro
The coat of arms (Article 1) is made of a Portuguese shield recalling
the Lusitanian origin of the country. On a red field stands a white
lamb (in Portuguese, "cordeiro") with the left forepaw raised and a
"guiso", symbol of ownership by Manuel Rosendo Cordeiro, the
pioneering coloniser of the place. The golden "guiso" and paws are a
symbol of force. The chief is divided into two quarters azure; the
first quarter is charged with a white bovine's head and a white and
red horse's head, representing cattle breeding; the second quarter is
charged with a red and green tractor representing agriculture.
Below the shield is a golden scroll inscribed "1887 - CORDEIRO - 1942"
in white letters; the years are for the establishment of the
settlement, as the Cordeiro estate and the upgrading of the "vila" to
The shield is supported by two plants of maize.
The shield is surmounted with a golden five-towered mural crown or,
standing for a "cidade", charged in the middle with the coat of arms
of the Rio de Janeiro State.
All the parts of the coat of arms are outlined in olive green.
br-rjcdr.gif - after the image contributed on 21 February 2012 by
Francisco de Assis Seixas to Wikimedia Commons
Ivan Sache, 12 March 2012