Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | sertanópolis |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Horizontally divided dark blue over red, bearing the municipal logo centred on a white disk.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 30 September 2011
The municipality of Sertanópolis (15,637 inhabitants in 2010; 505 sq. km) is
located in north central Paraná, 450 km of Curitiba. Sertanópolis was settled
around 1925 by colonists from São Paulo who grew coffee on the local "red soil".
The first settler was Francisco Gregório Da Silva, who built a hut near river
Taboca. The plots allocated to the newcomers were delimited by a commission
including Manoel Rabello Loureiro Dos Santos and Luiz Deliberador. Established
as a district in 1926, the colony had 500 inhabitants in 1929. The municipality
of Sertanópolis was established on 10 April 1929. The 1930 and 1932 revolutions,
frost and rain episodes and the lack of roads caused a big decrease of the
population. In May 1932, the municipality was suppressed and Sertanópolis was
made a district part of the municipality of Jataí (today Jataizinho). The
municipality of Sertanópolis was reestablished on 6 June 1934. The municipality
lost significant parts of its territories following the establishment of the
municipalities of Bela Vista do Paraíso, Ibiporã, Jaguapitã, Jataizinho and
Porecatu (1947) and Primeiro do Maio (1951).
The flag of Sertanópolis is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 511, adopted in 1977. Blue represents the sky while red represents the red soil of the municipality.
The coat of arms of Sertanópolis shows two groups of stars representing the pioneer foundation and the political emancipation. The triangle includes the symbol of commerce. The lower part of the shield represents industry. The shield is surmounted by mural crown representing the municipal autonomy. The shield is surrounded by branches of coffee and wheat.
Ivan Sache, 26 February 2012