Last modified: 2012-03-17 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | santa mônica |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
A green flag with a white triangle extending from, but displaced from, the hoist, bearing the municipal arms.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 26 September 2011
The municipality of Santa Mônica (3,570 inhabitants in 2010; 260 sq. km) is
located in northwestern Paraná, 640 km of Curitiba. Santa Mônica was founded
in 1951 by colonists mostly coming from northeastern Brazil. The municipality
of Santa Mônica was established by State Law No. 9,233 of 26 April 1990,
seceding from Santa Izabel do Ivaí, and inaugurated on 1 January 1993. The
municipality is named for the surname of the daughter of one of the early
settlers of the place.
A photo taken during the civic parade held on 7 September 2011 confirms the weird design of the flag. Moreover, the coat of arms is shown in full colors.
http://www.santamonica.pr.gov.br/galeria/mostrar/id/1209 - Municipal website
http://www.governomunicipal.com.br/media/santamonica.pr.gov.br/max/adfdf3f695317d281ee45c8278bc7b9a.jpg - Photo
Another confirmation is the flag kept in the Mayor's office, shown on another photo taken on 30 January 2009.
http://www.santamonica.pr.gov.br/conteudo/mostrar/id/626/titulo/Gabinete+do+Prefeito - Municipal website
http://www.governomunicipal.com.br/media/santamonica.pr.gov.br/max/0b742e5a48904723695aa293a3252a88.jpg - Photo
The coat of arms of Santa Mônica contains the following elements.
- a mural crown representing the municipal power, with eight towers port gules representing the pioneers and the leaders of the municipality.
- plants representing agriculture: cotton, maize, rice, coffee and mulberry leaves with silkworms and cocoons;
- a wavy line representing rivers Ivaí, Selmo and Taquara, which water the municipality;
- a red scroll inscribed with the name of the municipality and its dated of political emancipation (26-04-1990) and of inauguration (01-01-1993);
- a portrait of St. Monica, the patron saint of the municipality;
- the forest, originally cleared by hand by the early pioneers;
- a map of Paraná, representing the State;
- the Earth, a quill, an inkpot and a book representing education and culture;
- a tractor driven by a farmer;
- a rising sun in its morning beauty;
- the greening fields with a bull symbolizing cattle-breeding;
- a gear wheel representing industry.
http://www.santamonica.pr.gov.br/conteudo/download/arquivo/bandeira (PDF file)
Ivan Sache, 26 February 2012