Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | nova londrina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Nova Londrina (13,461 inhabitants in 2014; is located in the
north-western corner of Paraná, on the border with the state of São Paulo, 580
km of Curitiba.
Nova Londrina was established on 20 October 1953 on Gleba Paranapanema by Imobiliária Nova Londrina Ltda, a colonizing company founded in Londrina by Silvestre Dresch, Armando Valentim Chiamulera, Leopoldo Lauro Bender, Ewaldir Bordin and Salim Zaidan.
The district of Nova Londrina was established within the municipality of Paranavaí by Municipal Law No. 13 promulgated on 5 August 1953, to be elevated a municipality by State Law No. 253 promulgated on 26 November 1954. The new municipality was inaugurated on 7 January 1956.
The flag and arms of Nova Londrina are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 367 promulgated on 28 February 1968.
The coat of arms of Nova Londrina was designed under the terms of Article 1, §3, of the Federal Constitution of 1967. The shield is surmounted by a mural crown with eight towers, below which, on each side, is placed a cross patty, recalling the colonization period of Brazil. The shield is divided by a wavy blue stripe to which is appended a cowboy-style hunting horn. The shield is supported on the right by a cotton plant flowered proper and on the left by a branch of coffee, fructed proper, crossed in base and superimposed with a scroll gules inscribed in letters argent with the toponym "NOVA LONDRINA".
The shield used to represent the arms of the town of Nova Londrina was the first style of shield adopted by the Portuguese under French influence. The mural crown that superimposes it is the universal symbol of domains' coats of arms; with eight towers argent, only five of them visible, it classifies the town as the seat of a district.
The field argent symbolizes peace, work, prosperity, purity and friendship. The green color symbolizes fertility, joy, honor and civility. The shield reproduces the coat of arms of Londrina, recalling the town's proper name, Nova Londrina [New Londrina]. The crosses recall the colonization of Brazil, being applied to the Portuguese caravels and wielded by the pioneers. The blue wavy stripe represents river Paraná, in whose valley the town is located and which served as an element of territorial integration. In base, the cowboy-styled hunting horn evokes livestock, one of the main sources of municipal income, implemented by gauchos element in Northern Paraná. The flowering cotton plant and the fructed coffee branch represent products from the fertile land. Finally, on the red scroll, whose color is evocative of audacity, courage, valiance and intrepidity, the municipality's name is written in letters argent.
Os Pioneiros de Nova Londrina, 28 September 2009
Ivan Sache, 6 February 2022