Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | loanda |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
A blue-red-green tricolor with a yellow triangle extending from the hoist, bearing the municipal arms.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 28 August 2011
The municipality of Loanda (25,211 inhabitants in 2010; 722 sq. km) is
located in northwestern Paraná, 610 km of Curitiba. Loanda was established as
a district part of the municipality of Paranaval by State Law No. 47 of 15
August 1953. The municipality of Loanda was established by State Law No. 253
of 26 November 1954 and inaugurated on 27 November 1955.
The coat of arms of Loanda is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 27 of 24 November 1965. The shield is of Portuguese shape, "Per pale 1. Azure a bovine head or, 2. Gules an axe argent, chief vert a star or surrounded by four smaller stars argent 2 + 2." The four stars argent represent the four early colonists João Tavares de Souza, Francisco Rocha, João Macena de Oliveira and Duarte Celestino de Oliveira, while the bigger star or represents the "Empresa Colonizadora Norte do Paraná" company in charge of the colonization. The first quarter represents cattle-breeding, one of the main sources of income of the municipality. The axe, the first tool used by the pioneers, recalls the clearing of the forest. The shield is surmounted by a five-towered mural crown argent, representing a "cidade". The shield is surrounded by a branch of coffee (dexter) and a branch of cotton (sinister), the two proper, representing the main sources of income beside cattle-breeding. The scroll is inscribed with the years of foundation ("1953") and political emancipation ("1955") of Loanda. Golden yellow means force, silver means candor, red means intrepidity, blue means serenity, green means hope and black means knowledge.
Ivan Sache, 19 February 2012