Last modified: 2012-04-07 by ian macdonald
Keywords: pernambuco | salgueiro |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 19 May 2011
Horizontally divided 2:1 blue over white, with an arch of 9 yellow six-pointed stars over a single larger yellow six-pointed star in the blue field, and a red Latin cross above crossed green branches in the lower white field.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 19 May 2011
The municipality of Salgueiro (56,992 inhabitants in 2010; 1,734 sq. km) is
located in western Pernambuco, 520 km of Recife. The municipality is made of the
town of Salgueiro proper and of the districts of Umãs, Conceição das Crioulas,
Pau-Ferro and Vasques. Salgueiro is named for a willow ("salgueiro") linked
to the foundation of the town. On 21 December 1835, Colonel Manoel do
Sá noticed that Raimundo, his ninth son, had disappeared from the family
estate. Two days and two nights later, on 23 December, the shield was found
playing under a big willow - or, some said, under a big Brazil plum
surrounded by willows, - 10 km from the family estate. Fulfilling the promise
made by his wife Quitéria, the Colonel built a small chapel dedicated to St.
Anthony. The story of the miracle, aired all over the area, attracted several
colonists, so that the commune of Santo Antônio do Salgueiro was established
on 12 May 1843, as part of the
municipality of Cabrobó. The municipality of Salgueiro was established by Provincial Law No. 580 of 30 April 1864. Its first mayor was Major Raimundo de Sá, another son of the founder of the town.
The symbols of Salgueiro, designed by José da Cunha Barros (Zé Pintor [Painter Joe]), are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 10 of 2 April 1985. Blue represents the sky while white represents peace. The cross represents the Christian faith of the inhabitants. The big star represents the municipal power, while the smaller stars represent the Municipal Council. The branches of willow ("salgueiro") recall the origin of the municipality and make the arms canting.
The flag was, obviously, inspired by the State flag of Pernambuco.
The flag can be seen on photos taken at the civic parade held on 7 September 2011.
Ivan Sache, 6 March 2012