This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Campo Verde, Mato Grosso (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-02-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: mato grosso | campo verde |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Campo Verde, MT (Brazil)] image by Dirk Schönberger, 19 November 2010

See also:

About the Flag

Vertical green-white-green triband, the central band slightly wider, with the municipal arms centerd.

Official site at
Dirk Schönberger, 19 November 2010

The municipality of Campo Verde (31,612 inhabitants in 2010; 4,795 sq. km) is located in southeastern Mato Grosso, 130 km of Cuiabá.

Campo Verde was first settled in Capim Branco, subsequently renamed Coronel Ponce for Colonel Generoso Paes Leme de Souza Ponce (1852-1911), Governor of Mato Grosso in 1892 and 1907-1908. The first house in the region was built in the 1880s, not far from Capim Branco, by Diogo Borges, the head of the Borgos Fernandes family that had emigrated from Uberaba (Minas Gerais). In 1896, the first telegraph post in Mato Grosso was built in Caprim Branco by Cândido Mariano da Silva Rondon (1865-1958), then the Head of the Commission for the Building of Telegraphic Lines in Mato Grosso. A replica of the post was inaugurated on 3 July 2009. In mid 1966, the Côcco family initiated a second wave of colonization to the south of the today's municipal territory. The new colonists came from the town of Pinhal Grande, located in the municipality of Júlio de Castilhos. In the 1970s, emigrants from Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul boosted the development of agriculture in Campo Verde, introducing rice and soybean cultivation. In 1974, Otávio Eckert, from Carazinho, founded the Campo Real estate. The next year, he founded the Paraná Post, the first general store in the region. Foreseeing the development of the future town, Eckert built houses and a school and brought electricity, freshwater and phone to the place. The municipality of Campo Verde was created by Law No. 5,314 of 4 July 1988, from parts of the municipalities of Cuiabá and Dom Aquino.

According to the Municipal Law prescribing the symbols (undated in the source), the symbols were designed by Júlio César Balestrim. Green represents the beginning of the municipality, rich in natural resources, and the origin of the name of the municipality (lit. "Green Field). White represents work and commitment of all the inhabitants to the progress of the municipality. The coat of arms represents the courage of the colonists and is a symbol of the defense of our land that provides us with peace and tranquillity.

The mural crown represents a strong municipality. The disk represents pride to belong to a great State on the way to progress. The sun represent right and equality for all citizens of the municipality. The dove represents peace and fraternity. The star represents faith and hope. Maize and soybean are the real symbols of the local economy. Water recalls the hydrological resources  of the place. The scroll is a tribute to the emancipation of Campo Verde. - Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 25 January 2012