This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Rosário Oeste, Mato Grosso (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-02-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: mato grosso | rosário oeste |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Rosário Oeste, MT (Brazil)] image by Ivan Sache, 27 January 2012

See also:

About the Flag of Rosário d'Oeste

A green flag with a descending white stripe, bearing the municipal shield and the words PAZ and ESPERANÇA.

The municipality of Rosário Oeste (17,682 inhabitants in 2010; 8,802 sq. km) is located in center south Mato Grosso, 130 km of Cuiabá.

Rosário Oeste originates in chapel built in 1757 by Maria Francisca Tourino, the wife of the colonist Inácio Manoel Tourino, which kept a statue of Our Lady of the Rosary brought from Rio de Janeiro. Located on the way to the auriferous waters of Diamantino, the settlement of Monjolo, built around the chapel, grew until Tourino's death, which caused the massive emigration of the inhabitants to Diamantino. On 8 August 1812, José Pedro da Silva Prado, Marcelino Rodrigues de Toledo and Vitoriano Lopes de Macedo were granted the land located close to the extinct settlement of Monjolo. A new church was build, keeping a new statute, around which developed the village of Rosário do Rio Acima. Renamed Rosário Oeste by State Law No. 694 of 11 June 1915, the "vila" was made a "cidade" by State Law No. 772 of 16 June 1918.

The flag of Rosário Oeste is green with a descending white stripe, bearing the municipal coat of arms flanked by the green words "PAZ" and "ESPERANÇA". - Municipal website

The coat of arms of Rosário Oeste is a shield bordered vert, per fess, 1a. Argent a tree proper, 1b. Argent a maize cob leaved proper, 2. Vert two rice panicles or per saltire, overall a letter "E" countercolored. - Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 27 January 2012