Last modified: 2012-02-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: mato grosso do sul | naviraí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 28 January 2012
The municipality of Naviraí (47,173 inhabitants in 2010; 3,163 sq. km) is
located in southern Mato Grosso do Sul, 355 km of Campo Verde. The
municipality is made of the town of Naviraí proper and of the district of
Naviraí was settled in 1952 by the Colonizadora Vera Cruz Lrda. company. Made a district of the municipality of Caarapó on 21 November 1958, Naviraí was established as a municipality by State Law No. 1944 of 11 November 1963, after a Bill tabled by Dr. Weimar G. Torres. The origin of the name of the municipality is disputed. The first explanation claims that the early colonizers settled near a small brook called Naviraí, meaning in Guarani "the smelly brook bordered by purple shrubs". The second explanation claims that the place was name for the Spanish word meaning "nativity", "birth".
The flag is green with a white-fimbriated red cross, over all a white lozenge bearing the municipal coat of arms.
http://www.navirai.ms.gov.br/node/52 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 28 January 2012