Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: corpen aike department | santa cruz province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Municipality of Comandante Luis Piedra Buena of 4,176 inhabitants as per 2001 census
is located close to the estuary of the Santa Cruz River.
The colonization of the area started in 1859 in the Pavón Island located in estuary of the Santa Cruz River. Previously named Islet Reach by the British Pringles Stokes, a member of the 1827 Fitz Roy Expedition, the island was re-named Pavón by then Captain Luis Piedra Buena in honor of the Battle of Pavón. Commander Luis Piedra Buena [1833-1883] raised in the island the Argentine flag 1859. He was an Argentine mariner and explorer born in Patagonia that led the Argentine colonization of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. He is also the great-grand uncle of the vexillologist Gustavo Tracchia.
Since 1859 the place was an important center of scientific expeditions. On the opposite shore of Pavón Island, in 1880, a settlement was established in firm land named Colonia Santa Cruz. Later, the settlement was re-named Paso Santa Cruz and much later, Paso Ibáñez, after Gregorio Ibáñez, another explorer of the area.
In 1933 the place was named Comandante Luis Piedrabuena, but after 1968, the spelling was change to Luis Piedra Buena, to conform to the name as originally written.
According to the municipal website, the local flag has the following meaning:
The Sun: the royal celestial body, source of energy and life.
House: A symbolic representation of the settlement located in Pavón Island. It is the place where Commander Luis Piedra Buena and his wife Julia Dufour lived, located at 68º 55´ 00" West and 50º 00" South.
Southern Cross: locates the settlement in the southern hemisphere, and identifies its people as inhabitants of Patagonia where the Province of Santa Cruz is located. The Southern Cross and the wavy lines are also present on the flag of the Province.
Emerald Green Color: the typical shade of the Santa Cruz River.
Sky: the cold sky blue shade is typical of the southern skies of the region.
Navy Blue: the color of the southern seas with white wavy stripes representative of the waves.
The author of the design is the Grupo Sud (Patricio Adrián Figueroa)
Francisco Gregoric, 06 May 2008
Puerto Santa Cruz is municipality and seat of the Department of Corpen Aike,
Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina. It has about 3400 residents.
Its flag can be seen on a municipal website.
The flag is designed in a field divided into four quadrants, which represents the past, present and future of the town. They reflect the historical importance because our the was the historical capital of Santa Cruz province. It reflects the present and future ambitions of its people.
The symbol that divides the quadrants above is "The Cross", representing the Centennial Monument which is located between the Rock and Stone Avenues Good. It is worth noting the two large horizontal arms extended as to embrace the community and shelter the visitors.
It has also been elected to the cross and this was the standard used by the missionaries who settled in the current Cañadón Missionaries as well as the first Salesian Mission coming to these places in 1886 led by the missionary Angel Savio. No less important is the name of the town which mentions "the cross" in tribute to the rescue of a ship makes Magellan in the year 1520, the day of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.
Past: On the lower left quadrant shows a plateau that represents "Cañadón Missionary," starting point for the colonization of these lands. The upper left quadrant represents the night with the Southern Cross which was guided by the sailors who came to the shores.
Present: In the lower right quadrant shows a boat coming from Punta Entry into the port and interacts with the two upper quadrants which is characteristic of the waters of Puerto Punta Quilla which can operate 24 hours a day.
Future: This represents an overall view of the flag as if it were a window where we use the past for projects in the future by pointing to the tourism and holding the port.
While these three quadrants symbolize the same time are constantly intertwined. This was highlighted in the left lower quadrant with the Missionary Cañadón washed by the waters of the Santa Cruz River into communion with the waters of the Argentine Sea which gave forged pioneers who arrived in the soil and makes the entry of vessels at anchor Puerto Punta Quilla which is observed in the lower right quadrant.
Valentin Poposki, 15 Apr 2009