Last modified: 2020-07-26 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: la pampa | provincia de la pampa | pampa | winifreda |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Province of La Pampa is administratively divided in 22 departments. Inside each department there are a different number of "distritos".
The Municipalidades and the Comisiones de Fomento are the municipal governments in the province.
Francisco Gregoric, 15 May 2015
The municipality of Winifreda (2,776 inhabitants in 2010; 17,000 ha)
is located in the north-east of La Pampa Province.
Winifreda was established on 3 April 1915 when the railway station of the same name was inaugurated. The place was originally known as Luán Lauquen (The Guanaco's Lake). It was renamed for one of the daughters of José Norman Drysdale, who had inherited in 1893 he plots acquired in 1886 by his father, the Scottish railway engineer John D. Drysdale (1833-1893). The first settler (1905) was Jacobo Muller; the early colonists were mostly Volga Germans, who were followed by a second wave of Italian immigration.
The Municipal Council was inaugurated on 30 March 1923, while the Town Hall was built in 1927.
The flag of Winifreda is identical, in its design and colours, to the national flag, with the emblem of Winifreda in the middle.
Three municipal councillors of the Bloque Frepam and one of the PJ (Partido Justicialista) approved the design. Celia Assel (PJ) abstained, arguing that the Council should not adopt the flag without consulting the citizens, and proposed to start a public contest instead. Marta Bonkowski (Bloque Frepam) replied that the flag had been proposed by the Centenary Commission - Winifreda will celebrate its 100th anniversary on 3 March 2015 -, which includes representatives of several local institutions. Assel further complains that no image of the flag had been provided. The councillor Néstor Soncini (PJ) rejected the proposal.
The coat of arms of Winifreda, designed by Juan Carlos Meyer, was adopted in August 1986.
The emblem is made of an oval superimposed to a white map of La Pampa outlined in yellow and charged with a sunflower seed, a characteristic local crop, placed at the geographical location of Winifreda.
The upper half of the oval is blue with a yellow rising sun, symbolizing the power of the town. A cart and a _ caldén_ (_Prosopis caldenia_ L., a tree endemic to the dry areas of Argentina) recall the colonists and clearings, respectively.
The lower half of the oval features 23 furrows representing the 23 Argentinean provinces. The five ploughing disks represent the nations of the immigrants who established the town, [further symbolized by the letter "W"]. The wheat spikes surrounding the oval's lower part , tied together beneath the shield with a cockade with the national colours, represent the agricultural potential of the area.
Ivan Sache, 17 Jan 2015
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.