Last modified: 2019-12-20 by rick wyatt
Keywords: river rouge | michigan | wayne county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
On the River Rouge Museum website, there is an article from 18.05.1950 about the city flag:
"City Flag Is Approved By Council - Rouge Committee Produces Emblem - The design of an official flag of the City of River Rouge was adopted by the City Council Tuesday night. The flag will be used in River Rouge Civic Activities and will be displayed by the Boy Scouts from this municipality who attend the National Meet of that organization at Valley Forge, Pa., next summer. A Committee of Rouge persons representing several organizations and headed by Commissioner Edwin Walker was responsible for the flag design. Commissioner Walker introduced the resolution providing for its adoption. All voted for it except Commissioner John Tattan who explained that he favored it as a Rouge emblem for the Scouts, but believed that the public as a whole should first have a chance to give expression to what would constitute an official flag. The flag has fields of red, white and green with a border of gold. A fleur de lis in the center is emblematic of the city's industries and history. The flag contains the words "River Rouge" at the top and "Heart of Industry" in the lower part." - from riverrougemuseum.com/ESW/Files/15._May_&_June_1950.pdf, page 8.
Valentin Poposki, 8 January 2011
image located by Paul Bassinson, 9 September 2019
Paul Bassinson, 9 September 2019