This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Buldan (District Municipality, Turkey)

Last modified: 2018-04-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: buldan | yenicekent |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Buldan, current and former versions - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 26 December 2017

See also:

Presentation of Buldan

The municipality of Buldan (27,335 inhabitants in 2016; 51,000 ha) is located 40 km north-west of Denizli.

Ivan Sache, 12 January 2018

Flag of Buldan

The flag of Buldan (photo) is white with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality". The former flag of Buldan (photo) was white with the municipality's former emblem.

The emblem features the ruins of Tripolis on the Meander.
Tripolis was a part of ancient Phrygia, but its border location causes that it is occasionally assigned to Caria and Lydia. The city was founded on the northern bank of the Meander river, in its upper course. Its location on the route connecting Sardes and Philadelphia with Laodycea allowed it to compete for regional influence with Hierapolis. The coins minted in Tripolis were adorned with the head of the goddess Latona, the mistress of Zeus and the mother of Apollo and Artemis. The first records mentioning Tripolis are relatively late and come from Pliny the Elder (the 1st century AD), who wrote about this city as of Lydian settlement situated by the Meander river. Claudius Ptolemy (the 2nd century AD) and Stephanus of Byzantium (the 6th century AD) describe Tripolis as a Carian town. The city was also known in ancient times under the names Neapolis, Antoninopolis and Apollonia.
Thanks to the archaeological excavations it is now known that the history of the settlement in Tripolis begins at least in the 4th millennium BC. It has also been confirmed that the city development gained its momentum during the Hellenistic period and Tripolis reached the peak of its power in Roman times, especially in the period after the 2nd century AD. During this period new public buildings, including the city gates, streets, baths, stadium, theatre and city council were constructed.
In 325 AD the bishop of Tripolis took part in the First Council of Nicaea. In 494 the city was partially destroyed by an earthquake. This event started the gradual depopulation of Tripolis, which was sealed with the Sassanid Persian invasions in the late sixth and seventh centuries. City inhabitants, harassed by attackers, moved to the city of Direbol, just 5 miles north of Tripolis, which was better protected by the mountains.
From the forced migration until the 13th century the area of Tripolis was abandoned. In the first half of the thirteenth century, the hill above Tripolis was fortified by the Byzantines. In 1243 the peace treaty between the Emperor John III Ducas of Nicea and the Seljuk sultan Giyaseddin Keyhusrev II was signed in this fortress. In the beginning of the fourteenth century the entire region around Denizli became an arena of fighting between the Byzantine Empire and the Turkish tribes. Eventually, Tripolis came under the rule of the Ottoman Empire in 1429.
[Turkish Archaeological News, 28 December 2013]

Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 12 January 2018

Former municipalities



Flag of Yenicekent - Image by Jens Pattke, 9 June 2015

The flag of Yenicekent (photo) was white with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".

Tomislav Šipek, 11 June 2013