Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: szrensk |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The village of Szreńsk (formerly a town) is the capital of the small
historic region called Zawkrze ( Land Beyond Wkra River)
Settled around IX Century, Szreńsk was subject to the attacks of wild Prusian tribes and, subsequently, often destroyed, hence the famous earthen and wooden fortifications around it were built in the Middle Ages.
First mentioned in written documents in 1240. The town right were granted
in 1383 by Duke Siemowit IV.
During the Swedish occupation of 1656 the town was visited by King Karl X Gustav for three weeks, where he planned a final assault of his armies on Warsaw.
City rights lost in 1896.
The Arms show on the blue field a silver monogram "S" pierced by the
The flag was shown on the website of the Zawkrze Region, but is presently omitted there.
Luckily, it was preserved by the Wikipedia contributor, Artur Jan Fijałkowski, who wrote:
"Deze vlag is een afgeleide versie van de vlag van Szrensk die vrijgegeven is onder het Publiek Domein. Deze versie van de vlag is mijn interpretatie en is verwezenlijkt door mij en vrijgegeven onder de CC-BY-SA-2.5. licentie."
The flag features a representation of the medieval fortifications in
yellow over the blue. The colors are those of the Arms.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 14 Jan 2009