Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: chlewiska |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
On April 22, 1864, during the January Uprising, troops under the command
of Gen.Langiewicz were victorious in the battle here over the Russian Imperial
It was here, where the only regular Polish Army unit, which didn't surrendered in 1939, operated throughout entire period of WW II as a partizan organization under the leadership of Major Henryk Dobrzański - "Hubal".
Enraged Germans, suspecting the local population of support given to Hubal's soldiers, repeatedly carried the pacification actions, like on April 11, 1940, burning the village of Skłoby and executing 215 villagers in the nearby forest, or executing 75 villagers from Stefankowo few days earlier. On August 21, 1944, the 4th Regiment of Infantry of AK (Home Army), trying to relieve the rebels of the Warsaw Uprising, took the village of Antonów in the commune killing 150 Wehrmacht soldiers and destroying 12 vehicles while loosing only 8 dead and 8 wounded. They managed to hold the village until the Soviets arrival.
Arms and flag adopted on April 30, 2003 (resolution # III/17/03).
"Arms: a combination of the three noble Coat of Armss. On the right, red field a silver "rogacina" from the Coat of Arms "Odrowąż" belonging to the founders of the village - Szydłowiecki family. The upper left, golden field features the black eagle from the noble Coat of Arms "Sołtyk" and on the lower left, blue field there is a silver swan from the Coat of Arms "Łabędź" of the Chlewicki family, from which the commune takes its name.
Flag: a rectangle (or square) composed of two vertical bands: blue and
red with the Arms in its center.
The flag can be either square or in the ratio 5:8
Chrystian Kretowicz, 11 Dec 2008