This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Flevoland Province (The Netherlands)
Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: flevoland |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Mark Sensen, 4 May 1999
adopted 9 Jan 1986; design: buro BRS, Amsterdam
Flevoland is the newest Dutch province. It was official founded the 1st
of January 1986. It comprises the main body of the land reclaimed from
the former Zuiderzee (or South-Sea), which was closed by the Enclosure
Dam of 1932.
The blue stripe on the flag symbolizes water, the yellow stripe is
for wavy cornfields, cole-seed and agriculture; the green stripe represents
the rural landscape og Flevoland. The lily is from the family arms of Ir.
Lely, the grand architect of the enclosure of the former Zuiderzee. The
flag was unfurled for the first time on 9 Jan 1986; it was designed by
the design studio BRS in Amsterdam.
The arms depict the transformation of water into land. The lion is
derived from the National Arms and symbolises that the process of reclamation
was funded by the government. The fleur-de-lis is the canting symbol for
Dr.Lely, who started the process of reclamation. The province also includes
the village of Urk, a former island.
Ralf Hartemink 1997
Flevoland Coat of Arms
International Civic Arms : http://www.ngw.nl/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=Flevoland
granted 4 Jul 1986
"Per fess wavy azure and argent; over all a sea lion party per fess
wavy or and azure, armed and langued gules, holding a fleur-de-lys argent
in its right hand claw. The shield is crested by a coronet of four pearls
between five leaves or. Supporters: two lions rampant or, armed and langued