Last modified: 2023-06-03 by zachary harden
Keywords: veszprem | revfulop | balaton | boat | row boat | vine |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by István Molnár, 18 Febuary 2001
Révfülöp is a 'large village' in Veszprém County in
Hungary on the northern bank of the Lake Balaton The village has
got 1.267 inhabitants (1990 census), nearly all of them are
Hungarians. Neighbouring settlements are: Balatonszepezd, Zánka
and Kővágóörs villages and Balatonboglár town on the south
bank of the lake.
From <www.balaton.net>: "One of the earliest ferry points on the lakeside, it is first mentioned in 1211, but archeological findings evidence that the place was inhabited already in the Roman age."
The settlements: Fülöp and Ecsér were devastated at the time of the Turkish Wars 1526-1690. Till 1946 Révfülöp was part of Kővágóörs village.
The Coat of Arms of the settlement relates to the important ferry between Fülöp and Boglár and the famous wines and vineyards of the Balaton Highlands. The name of the settlement in English: St. Philips' Ferry. The flag can be seen at: <www.balaton.net/revfulop.htm>.
István Molnár, 18 Febuary 2001