Last modified: 2014-08-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: dubrovacko primorje |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Dubrovačko primorje - Image by Željko Heimer, 2 June 2013
The municipality of Dubrovačko primorje (lit., Dubrovnik littoral; 2,216 inhabitants in 2001) is made of 20 villages. The seat of administration is Slano (579 inh.); the Italian name of the place, Islana, is not used nowadays. The municipality covers the northermost part of the "mainland" of Dubrovnik area of the County, due south of the access of Bosnia and Herzegovina to the sea.
In 1399, the Littoral became part of the Republic of Ragusa and there was a Duke (Prince) in Slano. The Ohmučević had a summer villa there; the family is known in heraldry for the Armorial produced at the end of the 16th century, allegedly a copy of a 14th centtury armorial, although it is not, but that was used as a model for several, later South Slavic armorials.
The municipality was recently in the headlines because of plans of the Croatian Navy to build a new harbour there.
Željko Heimer, 23 July 2008
The symbols of Dubrovačko primorje were adopted on 10 March 2008 by the Municipality Assembly (Dubrovački vjesnik, 14 March 2008).
The symbols were designed by the Heraldic Art d.o.o. company from Rijeka.
The flag (photo) is in proportions 1:2, blue with the coat of arms, bordered yellow, in the middle.
Željko Heimer, 2 June 2013
Coat of arms of Dubrovačko primorje - Image by Željko Heimer, 2 June 2013
The coat of arms includes the depiction of a ship with full sails coplored red, and in chief a lijerica and an olive branch.
Lijerica, also known as lirica or vijalo, is a local bowed musical instrument with three strings, similar to more famous, one-stringed gusle.
Željko Heimer, 4 January 2009