This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Southend-on-Sea, Essex (England)

Last modified: 2020-11-14 by rob raeside
Keywords: southend-on-sea | essex |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Southend-on-the-Sea] image located by Valentin Poposki, 29 July 2020
See also:


Southend-on-Sea was created as Municipal Borough Council in 1892, within Essex County Council. In 1914 Southend-on-Sea became County Borough Council and was extracted from Essex County Council. Southend-on-Sea Borough Council in 1974 became again part of Essex County Council. However, in 1998 it again became the single tier of local government when it became a unitary authority, as it is today.
Valentin Poposki, 29 July 2020


I couldn't find any information about the official flag or banner of arms, but unofficially the logo in several variants is used as a flag. Here are two photos of the logo on blue background: and
Valentin Poposki, 29 July 2020


[Southend-on-the-Sea] image located by Valentin Poposki, 29 July 2020

Official blazon
Arms : Azure on a Pile Argent between on the dexter an Anchor erect on the sinister a Grid-iron and in base a Trefoil slipped Or a Flower Vase issuing therefrom a spray of Lilies proper.
Crest : Issuant out of a Mural Crown Gules the Mast of a Ship proper flying therefrom a Flag Argent charged with a Cross throughout Gules.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Mediaeval Fisherman holding a Net with his exterior hand all proper and on the sinister side a Cluniac Monk proper holding in the dexter hand a Book Gules and in the exterior hand a Staff also proper.
Motto: 'PER MARE PER ECCLESIAM' - Through the sea through the Church.

Southend-on-Sea had a coat of arms, maybe unofficial, that was known before the new arms were granted in 1915.

The arms were officially granted on January 1, 1915, with the crest and supporters granted one day later. The arms were transferred from the County Borough to the Borough council on May 21, 1974.
The blue field represents the sea. On this are placed symbols of the old parishes that made up the town in 1915. The lilies and vase, symbol of the Virgin Mary are for St Mary, Prittlewell (originally a Cluniac Priory). The anchor - the symbol of St Clement - is for Leigh. The gridiron is for St Lawrence (Eastwood), and the trefoil, symbol of the Holy Trinity, is for Southchurch. The crest is a ship's mast for the historic port of Leigh on Sea.
The supporters are a medieval fishermen and a Cluniac monk. These, together with the motto, suggest the original growth of the town.
The Motto is PER MARE PER ECCLESIAM - By the Sea and by the Church.

Valentin Poposki, 29 July 2020