Last modified: 2014-05-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: compagnie naval d'afrique du nord |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of Compagnie Navale d'Afrique du Nord - Image by Ivan Sache, 23 October 2010
The Compagnie Navale d'Afrique du Nord (CNAN; history) was established in 1937
in Le Havre by the Belgian company Armement Deppe, following the
restructuring of the Société Navale de l'Ouest (SNO). The SNO transferred to the CNAN three ships, SS Saint-Paul, SS Saint-Michel and SS Saint-Thomas, which were renamed Maroc, Congo and Syrie, respectively.
SS Syrie was hit during the air raid that targeted the port of Le Havre on 11 June 1940. The 800 passengers, including 200 soldiers, rescued by the advice-boats Amiral Mouchez and Savorgnan de Brazza, landed in Cherbourg the next day. The abandoned Syrie drifted away and eventually sank on 13 June.
The CNAN winded up in 1943.
Ivan Sachew, 10 March 2014
The house flag of CNAN is shown by Jean Randier (Histoire de la marine marchande française) as white with a blue border and a red rectangle in the middle, surrounded by the blue letters "C", "N", "A" and "N".
Dominique Cureau, 13 October 2010