Last modified: 2022-03-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: bourg-la-reine |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Bourg-la-Reine - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 1 September 2021
The municipality of Bourg-la-Reine (21,050 inhabitants in 2019; 187 ha) is located 10 km south of Paris.
Bourg-la-)Reine was first mentioned in 1152, as "Burgus reginae", a village where the nuns of Montmartre were authorized to build a church. The Bourg de la Reine (Queen's Borough)
owes its name to Adelaide of Savoy, wife of King of France Louis VI the Fat. The women's convent founded in 1133 in Montmartre by Adelaide, where she would retire in 1147, was granted numerous lands by the king, including Pré Hilduin, located in the northern part of the current municipal territory. The Montmartre nuns named the place in homage to their benefactress.
Bourg-la-Reine's fetrile land, located at the confluence of rivers Bièvre and Rû de la Fontaine du Moulin, attracted flower and tree growers. The town's flagship activity was earthenware, which was produced by up to seven factories in the 19th century. In 1846, the construction of the Sceaux railway line made of Broug-la-Reine an important station and a strategic place of communication between Paris and the provinces. In 1882, the establishment of Lycée of Lakanal fostered the settlement of members from the teaching and artistic communities.
The flag of Bourg-la-Reine (photo, photo) is white with the municipal logo, which is derived from the municipal arms, "Per pale, 1. Azure three fleurs-de-lis or, 2. Ermine plain".
The original arms of Bourg-la-Reine, "Per pale, 1. Azure three fleurs-de-lis or, 2. Fleur-de-lis plain" were first mentioned on the minutes of the session of the Municipal Council held on 7 June 1868. The arms were displayed in 1870 on the municipal letterhead. In 1899, the archivist Fernand Bournon (1857-1909) "corrected" the arms to "Per pale, 1. France modern, 2. Brittany", that is, the arms of the town of Brest! The mistake was never corrected.
[Municipal website (archived)]