Last modified: 2021-07-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: moutier-les-mauxfaits |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Moutier-les-Mauxfaits - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 2 May 2021
The municipality of Moutier-les-Mauxfaits (2,159 inhabitants in 2018; 925 ha) is located 20 km south of La Roche-sur-Yon.
Moutier is named for two monasteries (old FRench, "moutiers") that were established after year 1000. The monastery originally dedicated to St. Michael, and, from the middle of the 15th century, to St. James, had its cloister suppressed in the 18th century. The second priory disappeared around the 13th century, leaving only cellars under private property.
In the Middel Ages, the town was defended by La Cantaudière, a small fortified castle watching river Troussepoil. Modified in the 16th century, the castle was acquired in 1615 by Maximillien de Béthune, Duke of Sully, King Hanry IV's councillor.
Olivier Touzeau, 2 May 2021
The flag of Moutier-les-Mauxfaits (photo) is white with a blue panel featuring the municipal logo, which represents the market hall standing in the center of the village.
The market hall already documented in the 11th century were rebuilt in the 13th century. The present-day's hall was erected in 1765, covering an area of 1,340 m2. It is estimated that 150 oaks were required to build the hall's framework, which is composed of 1,589 wood pieces. The hall is supported by 41 limestone pillars designed as Doric columns in neo-classical style.
[Municipal website; Destination Vendée-Grand Littoral]
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 3 May 2021