Last modified: 2021-06-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: barentin |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Barentin - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 13 February 2021
The municipality of Barentin (12,211 inhabitants in 2018; 1,274 ha) is located 20 km of Rouen.
Olivier Touzeau, 13 February 2021
The flag of Barentin (photo, photo, photo, photo) is a banner of the municipal arms, "Azure a viaduct argent masoned sable in chief three bees or". On the flag, the viaduct is represented without masonry.
The Barentin railway viaduct spans over river Austreberthe River on
the Paris-Le Havre line. Composed of 27 brick arches, of 33 m in height and 400 m in total length, the viaduct
was built from the spring of 1844 under the direction of chief engineer
Joseph Locke and contractors Mackensie and Brassey. Almost finished, the viaduct collapsed on 10 January 1846 at around 6 a.m., stirring heated controversy about ballast overload or the weakness of the pillars. Quickly rebuilt in six months, requiring sixteen million
bricks, the viaduct was put into service in 1847.
One span was destroyed by an Allied aerial bombardment on 8 August 1944, while another eight spans were blown up on 25 August by soldiers of the Wehrmacht retreating from the Falaise pocket. The viaduct was repaired between March and September 1946 by the Desplats-Lefèvre company.
Olivier Touzeau, 9 February 2021