Last modified: 2021-02-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: marquette-lez-lille |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Marquette-lez-Lille - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 17 July 2020
The municipality of Marquette-lez-Lille (10,354 inhabitants in 2018; 486 ha; municipal website) is located 5 km north of Lille.
Marquette is located on the confluence of rivers Marque and Deûle.
Johanna of Constantinople (1199-1244), Countess of Flanders and Hainaut from 1205 to 1244, founded a Cistercian abbey in Marquette. Then among France's biggest abbeys, the Marquette abbey included an hospital for the poors. Johanna was interred in the abbey, which was burned down in April 1793 and progressively ruined.
Ivan Sache, 3 February 2021
The flag of Marquette-lez-Lille (photo,
photo) is white with the municipal arms, "Or, a bend azure between two bendlets argent superimposed with a lion rampant sable armed and langued gules and the name 'Marquette' bendwise in letters argent".
The arms are a combination of the arms of Flanders and of the arms assigned by Th. Leuridan (Armorial des communes du département du Nord, 1909) as "Azure, the name 'Marquette' bendwise between two bendlets argents". This was the coat of arms of the municipal council. Marquette had no feudal lord, although the St. Peter chapter in Lille claimed rights on the village. For ages, Marquette was self-governed by a council composed of the parish priest and the most affluent peasants.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 3 February 2021