Last modified: 2015-04-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: longwy |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Longwy - Image by Pascal Vagnat, 22 February 2002
The municipality of Longwy (14,195 inhabitants in 2012; 534 ha) is located close to the borders with Belgium and Luxembourg.
Longwy successively belonged to the Duchy of Luxembourg, the County of Bar and the Duchy of Lorraine. Besieged by the French in 1647 and 1670, the town was incorporated to France in 1670 by the Treaty of Nijmegen. Louis XIV commissioned Vauban to fortify the town in 1679. Longwy was occupied by Prussia in 1792, 1815 and 1870, and by Germany in 1870 and 1914-1918.
The town is divided in three parts: Longwy-Haut (Upper-Longwy), the ancient fortified city; Longwy-Bas (Lower-Longwy), the administrative center; and Longwy-Gouraincourt, the industrial area. The basin of Longwy was in the past one of the main centers of siderurgical industry in Lorraine. The workers' housing estate of Gouraincourt, set up in 1878, initially had only 3 inhabitants. In 1911, there were 3,100 people living there, and the estate was achieved in 1935.
Ivan Sache, 22 February 2002
The flag of Longwy is vertically divided red-yellow with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
Pascal Vagnat, 22 February 2002