Last modified: 2021-06-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: manneville-sur-risle |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Manneville-sur-Risle - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 30 January 2021
The municipality of Manneville-sur-Risle (1,514 inhabitants in 2018; 932 ha) is located just east of Pont-Audemer.
Olivier Touzeau, 30 January 2021
The flag of Manneville-sur-Risle (photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms.
The first quarter of the arms is the chapel of the castle of Bonnebos.
The Lord of Bonnebos was first mentioned at the end of the 11th century. The construction of the castle in the 17th century is attributed to Nicolas Le Fort, Lord of Bonnebos from 1670. Abandoned at the end of the 17th century, the castle was destroyed by fire in 1828, then its remains were dismantled to recover the materials. There remain the constructions close to the old entrance with the chapel, dated 1672, and the octagonal dovecote, the construction of which dates back to 1586.
The third quarter recalls the past industrial activity of the village.
In 1852, the Kings' mill, located in Manneville, and the Baquets' mill, located in neighboring Pont-Audemer, were transformed into cloth mills. Workers' housing estates were built in Manneville to accommodate the newly hired workers. A new factory was built in 1870, as was a new workers' estate in 1902.
The cloth mills of the valley of Risle were eventually closed in 1962.
[Archives départementales de l'Eure]
The fourth quarter seems to feature the cross (photo) erected under a big tree by the lord of Thibouville, after he had killed the lord of Bonnebos in a duel. The date of this "historic" event in unknown.
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 13 February 2021