This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Conches-en-Ouche (Municipality, Eure, France)

Last modified: 2022-07-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: conches-en-ouche |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Conches-en-Ouche, two versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 3 February 2021

See also:

Presentation of Conches-en-Ouche

The municipality of Conches-en-Ouche (4,995 inhabitants in 2019; 1,672 ha) is located 25 km south-west of Évreux.

Conches emerged around 1034, when the lords of Tosny, whose origin remains obscure, inherited a domain called Castellio in medieval Latin. On his way to Santiago de Compostela, Roger I de Tosny stopped at Conques-en-Rouergue, a town located at the crossroads of two branches of the Way of St. James, where St. Foy d'Agen was ardently worshipped. Roger would have obtained the healing of his wife there, would have brought back relics of the saint and, in thanksgiving, would have built a church dedicated to him in Castellio, which then took the name of Conches, an ancient world for "a shell" and, heree, a reference to St. James.
The lords of Tosny built a fortress and a keep, surrounded the town with walls and established the Benedictine abbey of Saint-Pierre de Castillon, whose influence remained modest.
Conches-en-Ouche was a stronghold of Robert d'Artois, who participated with the English in the Hundred Years' War. In 1354 with the treaty of Mantes, the town and its fortress were given by the king of France Jean II to the king Charles II of Navarre, with the County of Beaumont-le-Roger, the Viscounty of Pont-Audemer and the Clos du Cotentin. Charles II entrusted the town to the Captal (lord) of Buch Jean de Grailly, who in turn entrusted it to his uncle Archambaud. Pretexting that the captal had passed to the English, Bertrand du Guesclin laid siege to Conches in 1371. An agreement was signed on 4 February 1371 and the Navarrese evacuated the town. This surrender obtained seven years before the conquest of the estate of the king of Navarre by Charles V meant that Conches was not destroyed like the other fortresses of Charles II of Navarre. Occupied by the English like the rest of Normandy, Conches was taken over by the French from 1440.

Olivier Touzeau, 3 February 2021

Flag of Conches-en-Ouche

The flag of Conches-en-Ouche (photo, photo; 2020) is blueish purple with the three golden scallops arranged from lower hoist to upper fly. In the previous years (2017 to 2019), the flag was used with a light blue background (photo, photo).

Olivier Touzeau, 3 February 2021

Other flag of Conches-en-Ouche


Other flag of Conches-en-Ouche - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 3 February 2021

The flag used from 2011 to 2017 (photo, photo, photo), was yellow with the coat of arms, "Or a bend azure charged with three scallops argent"; these are said to the arms of the lords of Tosny, the shells testifying to their pilgrimage to Compostela.

Olivier Touzeau, 3 February 2021