This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cabezamesada (Municipality, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain)

Last modified: 2020-03-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: cabezamesada |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Cabezamesada

The municipality of Cabezamesada (347 inhabitants in 2018 vs. 1,532 in 1950; 5,982 ha; unofficial website) is located on the border with the Province of Cuenca, 100 km east of Toledo and 30 km north of Quintanar de la Orden.

Phillip II's Relaciones (1575) reports that the municipal territory was composed of undulating plots overlooked by a hill named La Cabeza (the Head), on which grew only poor shrubs; accordingly, the hill looked like a dishevelled (mesada) hairdress. The hill was surmounted by a castle, probably built by the knights of the Order of Saint James in the late 12th century.
Cabezamesada was granted the title of villa in the last third of the 15th century by Alonso de Cárdena. Master of the Order.

Ivan Sache, 8 September 2019

Symbols of Cabezamesada

The flag of Cabezamesada (photos) is prescribed by an Order issued on 17 February 1994 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 2 March 1994 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 15, p. 1,103 (text).
The flag is described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, vertically divided in three equal parts, at hoist, purple, the central, white, at fly, celestial blue. In the center is placed the crowned coat of arms of the municipality with the emblem VILLA DE CABEZAMESADA.

The coat of arms of Cabezamesada is prescribed by Royal Decree No. 385, signed on 10 February 1978 and published on 10 March 1978 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 59, p. 5,810 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Or a castle sable on a mount of the same in chief a human head, masculine and dishevelled, 2. Argent a Cross of Saint James gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The arms, designed by Emilio García Rodríguez, Provincial Archivist, were approved on 28 February 1974 by the Municipal Council. They are based on Philip II's Relaciones (1575), which reports: "on a hill called Cabeça stands a castle made of lime and stone", where those who had caused damage or made illegal guts in the woods were jailed; would a prisoner rebell, "he would be brought to the knights".
[José Luis Ruz Márquez & Ventura Leblic García. Heraldica municipal de la Provincia de Toledo. 1983; Municipal website]

Ivan Sache, 8 September 2019