Last modified: 2017-01-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: campillos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Campillos - Image from the Símbolos de Málaga website, 16 September 2016
The municipality of Campillos (8,524 inhabitants in 2015, 18,800 ha; municipal website) is located 80 km north-west of Málaga.
Campillos was not documented before the Christian reconquest of the area and its pacification, in 1492. The first settlers were charcoal burners and cattle breeders from Osuna. They were soon joined by colonists from Teba and Antequera, who established a town. The growth of Campillos was so swift that the town had to be redesigned in the 16th century, the original huts were replaced by houses lined along rectilinear streets.
Campillos was granted the status of villa on 6 November 1680 by Charles III, separating from Teba.
Ivan Sache, 16 September 2016
The flag of Campillos (photo, photo, photo, photo,
photo), adopted on 21 April 1988 by the Municipal Council and validated on 30 June 1989 by the Royal Academy of History, is prescribed by Decree No. 62, adopted on 27 February 1990 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 30 March 1990 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 27, pp. 2,560-2,561 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Three equal stripes, green, white, and yellow, of 40 cm in width and 2 m in length, the total width of the flag being 1.20 m. The municipal coat of arms superimposed to the three stripes, 35 cm on 55 cm.
The coat of arms of Campillos, recognized since 18 April 1970 and submitted on 7 May 2004 by the Municipal Council to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 15 May 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 16 June 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 117, pp. 13,328-13,329 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Quarterly, 1. Gules a castle or masoned sable, 2. Argent a lion rampant purpure langued and armed gules crowned or, 3. Or a lion gules, 4. Argent a tree vert on a base of the same. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.
The Royal Academy of History validated the arms, which were included in the proposed By-Laws of the town, appearing on the reverse of the Town's Medal. The King of Arms certified the "centennial antiquity" of the coat of arms of Campillos, without providing any reference. There is, unfortunately, no hint on the origin of the first two quarters of the shield, which were, as hypothesized in the supporting memoir, obtained through a "mysterious grant".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia. 1973. 170:2, 403-404]
Ivan Sache, 16 September 2016