Last modified: 2020-02-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: cabanillas del campo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cabanillas del Campo - Image by Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The municipality of Cabanillas del Campo (10,123 inhabitants in 2018 vs. 1,041 in 1970, therefore the 5th most populous municipality in the province; 3,470 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km west of Guadalajara and 30 km north-east of Alcalá de Henares.
Cabanillas del Campo is reported in Philip II's Relaciones to have
been named for huts (cabañas) built by the Jews of Guadalajara to
celebrate a festival. Most probably, the town originates in shepherd's
huts (cabanuelas), as do several other places in Spain sharing a
"del Campo" refers to Campo de Guadalajara, the territory owned by the Council of Guadalajara. Cabanillas included Benalaque, a small village located on the bank of river Henares and on the old road connecting Alcalá to Guadalajara. Pedro Hurtado de Mendoza, the son of the first Marquess of Santillana, established there in 1502 a Dominican convent; the subsequent transfer of the convent to Gudalajara caused the abandon of the village. Friar Bartolomé Miranda y Carranza was Archbishop of Toledo from 1558 to 1576 and gave extreme unction to Charles V on 21 September 1558.
Valbueno, purchased in the first quarter of the 18th century by Tomás de Yrriberri, Knight of the Order of Saint James and 1st Marquess of Valbueno, was incorporated to Cabanillas del Campo on 5 July 1873.
Cabanillas del Campo was granted the status of villa in 1627 by Philip IV.
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The flag of Cabanillas del Campo (photo,
photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 22
April 1992 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 6
May 1992 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 33, pp.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, vertically divided in three equal parts, at hoist, crimson, in the center, white, and at fly, green. The white part charged with the crowned municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Cabanillas del Campo is prescribed by an Order
issued on 24 January 1992 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 31 January 1992 in the official gazette of Castilla-La
Mancha, No. 8, pp. 321-322 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Vert a church tower or on waves argent and azure in chief dexter the Cross of the Order of St. Dominic (Cross flory quarterly sable and argent). The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The green field represents the grain fields. The tower represents the
Apostle St. Peter church. The waves symboize river Henares, while the
Dominican cross recalls the old convent of Benalaque.
The proposed arms were approved by the Royal Academy of History
without further comment.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 189:2, 330. 1992]
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019