Last modified: 2017-01-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: la rambla |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Rambla - Image from the Símbolos de Córdoba website, 14 January 2017
The municipality of La Rambla (7,576 inhabitants in 2016; 13,780 ha; municipal website) is located 40 km south-west of Córdoba. La Rambla is famous for pottery made with a local, yellowish clay extracted from the neighbouring quarries; ceramic was introduced in the 1930, diversifying the production.
La Rambla was already settled in the prehistoric times, as evidenced by the bell-shaped vases found in La Minilla. The Arabs founded the town of Al Ramla (lit. "a sand quarry") on the remains of a fortified Roman camp.
After the Christian reconquest, the castle of La Rambla was granted to Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, aka El Gran Capitán. On 6 February 1521, representatives of the Andalusian towns supporting Charles I against the Comuneros gathered in La Rambla.
La Rambla was sold in 1651 by Philip Iv to the Count-Duke of Olivares. His heir, the Marquis of El Carpio sold the domain in 1677 to the Marquis of Almodóvar.
Ivan Sache, 14 January 2017
The flag (photo, photo) and arms of La Rambla, adopted on 28 October 2015 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 17 June 2016 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 20 September 2016 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 27 September 2016 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 186, p. 170 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Cardinal red with three lions in the center, a horse in the upper part, and a fountain in the lower part.
Coat of arms: Or a stone fountain proper pouring water azure and argent surrounded by two poplars vert in chief two eagles rampant and volant armed and membered argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown open.
The symbols of La Rambla date back to the Christian reconquest of the area. Documents kept in the Municipal Archives indicate that La Rambla, although depending on Córdoba, used proper arms; the militia that fought, for instance, in the battle of Lucena (1483) also carried its proper banner.
A book of accounts dated 1652 includes a request tabled by the Alférez Mayor, Juan de Castro y Arroyo, to the municipality, asking to place the arms shown on the standard of La Rambla on the facade of the Town Hall and of the newly built jail. The request includes a description of the flag, which was reused without any change. The colour of the flag, not mentioned in the historical source, was made "by default" cardinal red, the colour of Córdoba; at the time, the smaller towns use to adopt for their banner the same colour as their mother town.
A certificate of arms granted in 1728 by the King of Arms, Alfonso de Guerra y Sandoval, upon request of the municipal government, includes a written description, which was also reused without any change but the substitution of a Royal crown to the Marquis' coronet that stood for the Marquis of Almodóvar, lord of La Rambla.
Ivan Sache, 14 January 2017