Last modified: 2016-05-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: luque |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Los Blázquez - Image from the Símbolos de Córdoba website, 20 September 2015
The municipality of Luque (3,306 inhabitants in 2007; 14,076 ha; municipal website) is located 75 km south-east of Córdoba
The name of Luque comes from Latin lucus, "a sacred wood", transformed to "Lukk / Lukkon in Moorish times, and eventually Castilianized by dropping the final suffix -o.
Already settled in the Neolithic, the hills of Luque harboured Iberic fortresses watching the road between Córdoba and Granada, which were subsequently transformed by the Romans in fortified villages. In 908-909, the chronicler Ibn Hayyan mentioned the fortress of Luque (Hisn Lukk), which still dominates the town. The local quarries were used to build the Aljama mosque in Córdoba. Reconquered by Fernando III the Saint in February 1240-March 1241, the town remained mostly inhabited by Muslims until 1294. Shortly owned by Joanna of Ponthieu, Fernando III's wife, and Infant Juan, Luque was transferred to the Venegas, who kept it until the 19th century.
Antón de Luque emigrated to America; in 1635, Governor Martín Ledesma de Balderrama offered him a piece of land, on which he built the town of Luque (website), on the model of his Andalusian hometown. Luque was the capital of the Republic of Paraguay in 1865-1870 after Asunción, located 15 km westwards, had been sacked by the Brazilians.
Ivan Sache, 9 July 2009
The flag and arms of Luque, adopted on 2 December 2005 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 31 January 2006 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 February 2006 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 22 February 2006 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 36, pp. 60-61 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel in proportions 3:2 of length and hoist, respectively, purple; at hoist, a yellow wall part joined with a tower of the same colour, surmounted by a white amred arm and a flag of the same.
Coat of arms: Gules rocks argent surmounted by a wall part or joined with a tower of the same, surmounted by an arm armed argent holding a flag of the same. A border or with eight bunches of three olives and two leaves each. A base azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
The arms represent the fortress reconquered by Fernando III the Saint. The white flag symbolizes surrrender without violence. The base represent rivers Marbella and Salado. Olive oil is the main source of income for the town.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Córdoba (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 9 July 2009