Last modified: 2020-11-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: casas de don antonio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Casas de Don Antonio - Image by Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020
The municipality of Casas de Don Antonio (183 inhabitants in 2017; 3,100 ha; municipal website) is located 40 km south of Cáceres.
Casas de Don Antonio originates in the Roman mansio of Ad Sorores, located on the Silver Way, 26 miles from Augusta Emerita (Mérida), according to the Antonine Itinerary.
The village was established at the end of the 13th century by the Order of Saint James, as a dependency of Montánchez, in an estate owned by a knight Antonio. Casas de Don Antonio was granted the status of villa on 24 September 1769 by Charles III.
Casas de Don Antonio is the birth place of the lawyer, writer and journalist Pedro de Lorenzo (1917-2000). Director of El Diario Vasco and, subsequently, deputy director of ABC, Pedro de Lorenzo gave lectures at the Official School of Journalism. He magnified Extremadura in his books, such as Extremadura, la fantasía heroica and Capítulos de la insistencia, and pushed the establishment of the Royal Academy of Extremadura. As a poet, he founded in the 1940s the Juventud Creadora (Creative Youth) movement and the first poetry review post-Civil War, Garcilaso (1943-1946).
[Hoy, 11 August 2017]
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020
The flag (photo) and arms of Casas de Don Antonio, adopted on 2 July 2003 by the Municipal Council and validated on 29 April 2004 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 16 February 1994 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 25 May 2004 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 71, pp. 7,941-7,942 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Made of a yellow panel divided in the middle by a vertical blue stripe of 1/8 the flag's width. In the center of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms, in height 3/5 of the flag's width.
Coat of arms: Azure a pallet argent masoned sable superimposed with a cross of the military Order of Saint James and cantonned by four houses or port and windows gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The pallet represents the Silver Way that crosses the municipal territory from north to south. The Cross of St. James recalls the establishment of the village. The fours houses (casas) make the arms canting.
[José Antonio Ramos Rubio & Óscar de San Macario Sánchez. Casas de Don Antonio. Una mansión en la vía de la Plata]
Ivan Sache, 20 March 2020