Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: mijares |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Mijares - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 September 2013
The municipality of Mijares (834 inhabitants in 2009; 4,632 ha) is located in the south of Ávila Province, 70 km of Ávila.
Mijares was originally known as Los Mixares. On 14 October 1679, Charles II granted the title of villa to Mijares, which was separated from the Duchy of Mombeltrán.
Ivan Sache, 22 February 2011
The flag and arms of Mijares are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 4 April 2001 by the Municipal Council, signed on 18 May 2001 by the Mayor, and published on 1 June 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 106, p. 8,696 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag with proportions 1:1, horizontally divided red and white. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Azure a six-peaked mountain or over waves argent and azure ensigned with the year, in Roman numerals, MDCLXXIX (1679) or itself ensigned with King Charles II's cypher (CII) crowned with a Royal Spanish crown or. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
On the coat of arms (municipal website), the rocks represent the Sierra de Gredos. The waves represent river Tiétar. The chief of the shield recalls the grant of the title of villa in 1679 by King Charles III.
Ivan Sache, 7 September 2013