Last modified: 2020-06-21 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: tuttlingen | moehringen | attires(3) | bordure | fleur de lis | negro(crowned) | chief |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider,
5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Nov 2013
It is a blue-yellow vertical bicolour with centred arms (see left image above) or without arms (see right image above).
Source: information provided by Mrs. Julia Bauer from Tuttlingen Central Services Department
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 Dec 2013
Shield Or, three attires Sable ordered per pale, bordure Argent.
The town was founded in the early 13th century by Reichenau Abbey<7i> and its reeves (Vögte), the Lords of Wartenberg and became part of Württemberg in 1377. The arms show the arms of Württemberg, the three deer attires. Already in the oldest seal of the city, dating from the end of the 14th century, the three attires appear. In the 16th century the bordure was added, probably to distinguish the arms of the town from the arms of Württemberg, but there exists a coloured painting from 1536, displaying just the attires without bordure. Besides the arms, a fleur-de-lis had been a local symbol of the city, which was used on border stones for centuries. It was also used on seals from the 18th until the 20th century.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.103
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Dec 2013
It is not known, since then the blue - yellow bicolour was in use. The colours are however derived from the former coat of arms of the city, the so called Tuttlinger Ilg", which was a golden (= yellow) fleur de lis in a blue shield. The colours of the sheet were not changed, after the current coat of arms had been adopted, in order to avoid confusions with the colours of Baden-Württemberg.
The coat of arms displaying the three attires of Württemberg was introduced in 1377, when the city became a possession of the Counts of Württemberg. The former rulers, the Abbotts of Reichenau granted city rights and the former arms already at the end of the 13th century showing the above mentioned "Tuttlinger Ilg", first a symbol of St. Gabriel, who announced the birth of Jesus Christ to St. Mary. The lily was replaced by the coat of arms of Württemberg around 1400, was however tacitly tolerated as an additional coat of arms for centuries. In the 16th century there existed arms displaying the black attires in gold on the dexter half and the golden fleur de lis in blue on the sinister half. So the lily survived until the middle of the 19th century. Due to the uncertainty, which arms were the right ones, in 1889 two professors of the department of law of the Munich University were asked for a report. The reason, why the attires had been chosen, was rather curious. There existed two seals, a big seal with attires, a date (1629) and a circumscription. Besides that there had been also a small seal with the lily but without any date. For that reason, it was considered that the bigger seal, from which had also existed a print from 1651, was the oldest known symbol of the city and thus the only valid base of the coat of arms. Since 1906 it was forbidden to use seals displaying the lily.
Sources: email of Mrs. Julia Bauer and
Erich Kaufmann "Die Lilie in der Heraldik und in Besonderheit für Markungsgrenzen und als Stadtwappen", publ. in (Tuttlinger) Heimatblätter, volume 2000
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Dec 2013
Please note, that the banner with coat of arms is only used on occasion of special events and exclusively as an indoor flag. The plain bicolour is the every-day-and-outdoor-banner. Very special thanks to Mrs. Julia Bauer for her outstanding help.
It is a black-white-blue vertical tricolour. The coat of arms is slightly shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon spotted this banner on 27 August 2003 at the historical town hall of Möhringen.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Nov 2013
Shield Azure, a negroissuant dressed in a garment Argent and crowned by a coronet Or, chief parted per fess of Sable and Argent.
Möhringen gained city rights, which had been granted by Bishop Heinrich of Klingenberg, in the last decade of the 13th century. The negro is a canting element (older German term: Mohr) and is taken from the arms of the Lords of Möhringen. The chief displays the arms of the Lords of Klingenberg.
Source: Stadler 1971, p.72
The arms were granted in 1470 by Emperor Friedrich III, and immediately used in the seals of the city.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Nov 2013
back to Tuttlingen cities and municipalities click here