This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Blaichach Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Blaichach, Landkreis Oberallgäu, Bayern

Last modified: 2020-09-04 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: blaichach | gonfanon | oak(leaf) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Blaichach municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Sep 2020
See also:

Blaichach Municipality

Blaichach Banner

It is a red-yellow-green vertical tricolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Sep 2020

Blaichach Coat of Arms

Shield Argent a gonfanon Gules, charged with three diamonds Or, in base two oak leaves Vert in saltire.
The oak leaves are canting elements, because the name of the municipality is derived from "Bilaich"a. The municipality was first mentioned in 1275, the name means "under oaks". The gonfanon is taken from the family arms of the Counts of Montfort. The diamonds can also be seen on the altar of the church in Langenargen, which displays the same gonfanon together with the benefactors Count Hugo of Montfort-Rothenfels and his wife Elisabeth of Werdenberg. The municipal arms of Blaichach are based on a sculpture of a local baptistery. The counts built a toll bridge in 1494, crossing the Iller River. Blaichach is located alongside the road from Oberjoch to Lindau, which had been important for the transportation of salt. Name giver of the municipality is a little river, its name means "the pale creek".
Source: Richard Dertsch: "Landkreis Sonthofen - Historisches Ortsnamenbuch von Bayern, Schwaben 7", München 1974, p.22
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Sep 2020

The arms were approved on 7 November 1966 by Minister of Interior of Bayern.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 Sep 2020

back to Oberallgäu cities and municipalities click here