This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Selbitz City (Germany)

Stadt Selbitz, Landkreis Hof, Bayern

Last modified: 2021-08-21 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: selbitz(oberfranken) | bagpiper | quartered |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Selbitz city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 19 Aug 2021
See also:

Selbitz City

Selbitz Banner

It is a white-red vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Aug 2021

Selbitz Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale, at dexter Gules a bagpiper dressed Argent with bag Sable and pipes Or, standing on top of a mount Vert, at sinister quartered of Argent and Sable.
The village had been a possession of the Burgraves of Nürnberg since 1388, was however often given as a fiefdom to various kins, especially the Lords of Reitzenstein and the Lords of Wildenstein. The first seal was announced in 1783 and probably finished a bit later. A painting from 1812 displayed a red lamb on a green meadow. It was erroneously misinterpreted as a symbol of the Counts of Reuß, although it was probably a symbol of the Lords of Gailsdorf, who owned the Selbitz Estate until 1615. Around 1818 the animal changed to a Paschal Lamb, i.e. with an additional labarum. Since 1818 the pattern was again changed to a black lamb, based on a medal of the mayor, the pattern appeared also on local seals and in literature. Selbitz gained city rights in 1954. The current arms were introduced in 1977. The quartered shield displays the family arms of the Zollern kin. Bagpiper was the nickname of the inhabitants in the 19th century, as many inhabitants of Selbitz wandered around as musicians playing bagpipes.
Source: Stadler 1968, p.65 and Klemens Stadler and Albrecht von und zu Egloffstein: "Die Wappen der oberfränkischen Landkreise, Städte, Märkte und Gemeinden" , in "Die Plassenburg, Schriften für Heimatforschung und Kulturpflege in Ostfranken vol.48", Kulmbach 1990, p.360
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Aug 2021

Banner and arms were approved on 29 July 1977 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Oberfranken.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Aug 2021

back to Hof cities and municipalities click here