Last modified: 2021-05-15 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: garmisch-partenkirchen | demi-eagle | fess(white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, based on image of Jens Pattke, 08 May 2021
5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, based on image of Stefan Schwoon, 08 May 2021
Having just spent several days in beautiful Garmisch-Partenkirchen, I saw the banner hanging on a building in the town, a vertically displayed triband red-white-red with the arms in a white bannerhead.
Joseph McMillan, 11 Aug 2003
The coat of arms is parted per pale, at dexter Argent a demi-eagle Sable armed Gules and couped per pale, at sinister Gules a fess Argent.
Garmisch Market Town, having around 6,500 inhabitants, promoted the merger with the neighbouring Partenkirchen Municipality, having around 6,000 inhabitants, since July 1933. The target was to increase tourism and winter sports. In 1936 the Olympic Winter games should be based in the new municipality. There had been much disagreement, thus in the end the Minister of Interior had to make a decision. On 1 January 1935 both entities were united and the new name was Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The search for new arms deepened the disagreements, as both entities wanted to be represented in the new arms appropriately. The former arms of Garmisch displayed on a red shield the scene of St.Martin and the beggar. The former arms of Partenkirchen displayed on a blue shield a church, charged with an axe (German: Parte), which was however often omitted. The example with axe was canting. The arms of Garmisch were known from town seals since the 1st half of the 15th century, those of Partenkirchen from seals since the 14th century, proven by prints since 1406. Finally a compromise was made and the new arms became those of the former Counts of Eschenlohe, erroneously thinking, they had been identical to the Counts of Werdenfeld. Infact the former counts from the Andechs-Meranien kin only owned the County of Partenkirchen incl. Mittenwald. Garmisch had been a possession of the Welfen kin. The County of Werdenfels was established later in the 13th century, ruled by the Bishopric of Freising. The red fields on the sinister half are sometimes displayed with damascene (see left image above), sometimes without damascene (see right image above).
Sources: town website and Stadler 1965, p.57
Joseph McMillan, 11 Aug 2003 and Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 May 2021
Garmisch-Partenkirchen is one of the four stages of the legendary Four Hills Tournament (Vier-Schanzen-Tournee), a ski-jumping competition.
Jens Pattke, 7 Jan 2002
The arms were approved on 3 December 1935 by Minister of Interior of Bayern. Stefan Schwoon, 8 Jan 2002
back to Garmisch-Partenkirchen cities and municipalities click here