Last modified: 2021-09-04 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bayreuth(county) | pegnitz(county) | eagle(red) | chief(lozengy) | lion(black) | quartered | base(wavy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Red-white, adopted . Although Bayreuth swallowed Pegnitz and parts of Ebermannstadt County, its symbols were confirmed in 1974 after the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.16
Stefan Schwoon, 9 August 2001
The coat of arms was approved on 27 September 1962. The arms display the red eagle of Brandenburg as a symbol of the importance of the Burgraves of
Nürnberg, who ruled the largest part of the county until 1791. Burgrave Friedrich of Nürnberg took the eagle in 1415 as his arms, after he acquired
Brandenburg. The chief displays the arms of Bavaria and is representing the area around Kemnath, which belonged to the Wittelsbach kin, the Bavarian Royal family.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.16
Santiago Dotor, 11 July 2003
Black-yellow-blue. Annexed to Bayreuth county under the 1972 municipal reform.
Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964, p.73
Stefan Schwoon, 10 Aug 2001
The shield combines in the chief the arms of the Hohenzollern kin, quartered of silver and black as Burgraves of Nürnberg, and the lion of the Bishopric of Bamberg. Both the Hohenzollern kin as well as the Bishops of Bamberg held many estates in the county until the end of the 18th century. The blue base wavy is symbolizing the Pegnitz river.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.73
Santiago Dotor, 15 July 2003
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here