This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Blažovice (Czechia)

Brno-venkov okres, South Moravia region

Last modified: 2018-05-25 by kryštof huk
Keywords: blazovice |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Blažovice flag] by Jarig Bakker, 15 Nov 2003
adopted 14 Mar 2002 See also:

Blažovice municipality flag

Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (2002) - Blažovice, Brno-venkov district, South Moravian region. Adopted 14 Mar 2002.
The first written document concerning Blažovice is found in the "Codex diplomaticus te epistularis regni Bohemiae" from 1131, in which Jindřich Zdík, the Bishop of Olomouc, listed 214 places and villages that belonged to the Olomouc Diocese, and among them he mentioned Blažovice. The village and its surroundings, however, had already been settled in ancient times, which has been proven by numerous archeological findings.

When the country was divided into districts according to individual aristocratic families, Blažovice became the property of the then powerful Moravian family called the Lords of Deblín. Kateřina, the daughter of Janáč of Deblín, became, upon the wish of King John of Luxembourg, the administrator of the newly established Dominican Convent, St. Anna in Staré Brno, which was originally founded by Eliška Přemyslovna. In 1317, Kateřina gave the village to the convent and Blažovice was thus under the ownership of the Dominican Order at St. Anne for the next 465 years.

From the time when Blažovice was under the administration of the Dominican Order an agricultural estate still exists today, including the administration building that was formerly called the "Chateau," which was where the nuns sought refuge, mainly when the Plague epidemic endangered the town. It is not known when this building was erected, but it was probably built in the beginning of the 17th century. Three stone memorial tablets give evidence of the agricultural farm's fate. In 1782, the convent was dissolved by a decree by Emperor Joseph II, and as a result its property was confiscated by the state and transferred to the so-called Religious Fund, and "the Imperial-Royal Estate, the Royal Garden in Blažovice, along with the Moutnice and Habrovany Farm" were created, with the main administrative offices being established in Blažovice.

In December 1805, Blažovice, like its surroundings, became a part of the drama of one on the most horrible battles in the 19th century - "The Battle of the Three Emperors."
Source: pupils of the Slapanice gymnasium.
Jarig Bakker, 15 Nov 2003

Blažovice Coat of Arms

[Blažovice Coat of Arms] from this site.