Last modified: 2020-07-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | jaguari |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020
The municipality of Jaguari (11,551 inhabitants in 2016; 67,345 ha) is located
400 km north-west of Porto Alegre. The municipality is composed of the districts
of Jaguari (seat), Santo Izidro, Ijucapirama and Taquarichin.
Jaguari originates in the São José Jesuit reduction, established in 1632 by Fathers Romero, Superior of the Uruguai reductions, Manuel Bertot, Luiz Ernot, Cristovão de Mendonza and Paulo Benevides. Reported as the most prosperous mission in the area, São José was threatened by jaguars, diseases, hunger and pioneer's raids; accordingly, the mission was transferred in 1638 on the right bank of Uruguai, facing the town of São Borja.
A colony was established on the site on 29 April 1871, then part of the district of São Vicente, municipality of São Gabriel. The colonial nucleus of Jaguari was inaugurated in 1880, its urban planning being supervised by the land surveyor José Manuel de Siqueira Couto.
The district of Jaguari was established by a Municipal Act issued on 15 February 1893, as part of the municipality of São Vicente do Sul. The municipality of Jaguari was established on 16 August 1920.
Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020
The flag of Jaguari is white with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
In most cases, the coat of arms is surrounded by a shield-like black border including the municipality's name.
The coat of arms of Jaguari, designed by the Geocartográfico Sagras agency, from Porto Alegre, is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 586 promulgated in 1963.
Oval shield, divided into two quarters and a field. In the first quarter, dexter, a spotted jaguar on a silver background, recalling the origin of the municipality's name. In the second quarter, sinister, on a blue background, the Southern Cross, symbol of the country, in the lower part, on a green background, three furrows symbolizing land plowed for agriculture. Dividing the shield, a sinuous blue line representing river Jaguari that crosses the municipality east-west. In the lower part, on a yellow field, a red missionary cross and two indigenous arrows in bone tips in opposite directions, recalling the pioneers at the foundation in 1632, as the old Jesuit mission of São José. The shield surrounded dexter by a rice plant and sinister by a tobacco plants, the pillars of agricultural income. Beneath the shield, two bunches of grape, and, beneath, a red stylized stripe [scroll] charged with the motto "Pela Pátria" [For the Fatherland] and the dates "1632", foundation year of the São José Reduction, and "1920", foundation year of the municipality of Jaguari. The shield surmounted by a silver crown representing the four districts forming the municipality.
Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020