This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Amaral Ferrador, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-07-12 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | amaral ferrador |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Amaral Ferrador, RS (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 23 December 2011

See also:


The municipality of Amaral Ferrador (7,031 inhabitants in 2019; 50,598 ha) is located 200 km south-west of Porto Alegre.

Amaral Ferrador was established as a domain granted to Manuel Bueno de Vargas and his wife, Desidéria Maria Prates, coming from Itu (São Paulo). After the death of Vargas, his widow offered a plot to erect the chapel of São José do Patrocínio. In 1823, lacking money, she required the government of the Province of São Pedro do Sul to commission a land surveyor to delimit the territory of the parish. On 12 October 1823, 24 colonists attended the delimitation of the plot granted to the chapel of São José de Camaquã.

The district of São José do Patrocínio was established by Provincial Law No. 28 promulgated on 2 May 1846; its name was shortened to São José by State Decree No. 7,199 issued on 31 March 1938. The district was renamed to Patrocínio by State Decree No. 7,643 issued on 28 December 1938, confirmed by State Decree No. 7,842 issued on 30 June 1939. State Decree-Law No. 720, promulgated on 29 December 1944, renamed Patrocínio to Abolição, which was eventually renamed to Amaral Ferrador by Municipal Law No. 47 promulgated on 31 December 1949.

The municipality of Amaral Ferrador, separated from Encruzilhada do Sul and Dom Feliciano, was established by State Law No. 8,625 promulgated on 12 May 1988 and amended by State Law No. 8,989 promulgated on 11 January 1990.
The municipality's namesake is General José do Amaral Ferrador, a hero of the Ragamuffin Wars. - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 11 July 2020


The coat of arms of Amaral Ferrador is crossed by a yellow bend charged with a mate calabash and straw, and a sword.
The mate calabash and straws are a symbol of the Gaúcho tradition of hospitality and community integration, while the sword is a tribute to the municipality's namesake, the hero of so many wars.
The charges in the shield's quarter refer to the four main sources of income in Amaral Ferrador: tobacco, maize, cattle-breeding and river Camaquã.
The shield is supported by two lances representing struggle for emancipation united by a scroll inscribed with the date of promulgation of the law that established the municipality of Amaral Ferrador and its name.

José de Amaral Ferrador fought in the Ragamuffin War and in the Paraguayan War; The tradition reports that, with his friend Chico Diabo, he killed the Paraguayan dictator Solano Lopes who had initiated the conflict. He retired in São José do Patrocínio and was promoted to the rank of General 23 years after his death. - Parish website


Ivan Sache, 11 July 2020