Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | cafeara |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Cafeara (2,695 inhabitants in 2010; 18,580 ha) is located
480 km north-west of Curitiba.
Cafeara was established in 1937 by Manoel Firmino de Almeida, a civil engineer from Bahia, who was conceded 50,OOO ha by the state government. The engineer surveyed and delimited himself the territory, which he named Colônia Zacarias de Góes, as a tribute to Bahia-born first President (~ Governor) of Paraná Zacarias de Góes e Vasconcelos (1815-1877; in office, 1853-1855). He reserved an area of 31,460 ha to found Vila de Guairacá.
The first settlers came in the the 1940s from Minas Gerais, São Paulo and Nordeste. On 2 January 1947, they erected a calvary in front of the chapel dedicated to St. Lucia. On 5 October 1949, the settlement was renamed to Vila de Cafeara, as a tribute to the increasing coffee groves, and incorporated into the municipality of Lupionópolis.
The municipality of Cafeara was established by State Law No. 253 promulgated on 26 November 1954 and inaugurated on 19 November 1955.
The flag of Cafeara is ocher yellow with the municipal coat of arms in the center.
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2022