This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sanski Most (Municipality, Una-Sana Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina)

Last modified: 2020-07-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: sanski most | fleur-de-lis (yellow) | bridge (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Municipal flag]         [Municipal flag]

Flag of Sanski Most, two versions - Images by Željko Heimer, 26 June 2011 (left), and Ivan Sarajčić, 18 June 2009

See also:

Presentation of Sanski Most

Sanski Most is nicknamed "the Town on Nine Rivers"; beside the largest river Sana, there are eight smaller streams: Sanica, Dabar, Zdena, Bliha, Majdanska Rijeka, Japra, Sasinka and Kozica.
In the Middle Ages the area was, as the surrounding regions, part of the Croatian Kindgom, under the ecclesiastic jurisdiction of the Bishop of Zagreb. It became part of the Ottoman Empire in 1499, under the Arab name of Jisri Sana (Džisri Sana). Held in Sanski Most from 30 June to 2 July 1944, the second session of the Bosnia and Herzegovina Partisans' Assembly (ZAVNOBIH) was the origin of the statehood of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Željko Heimer, 26 June 2011

Flag of Sanski Most

The flag of Sanski Most, as shown on the municipal website (photos no longer online), is white with the coat of arms in the middle.

Aleksandar Nemet, 18 June 2009

Coat of arms of Sanski Most

[Municipal arms]

Coat of arms of Sanski Most - Image by Željko Heimer, 26 June 2011

The coat of arms is prescribed in Decision Odluka o izgledu grba Općine Sanski Most (text), adopted on 12 May 1996 by the Transitional Municipal Assembly and published in the Municipal official gazette Službeno glasilo Općine Sanski Most.

The arms are "Vert a fleur-de-lis between two triangles over a bridge issuant from two wavy stripes all or and in the chief of the same inscribed the name of the municipality vert".
The arms are canting, recalling the name of the municipality, "a bridge over river Sana", with the surrounding mountains. The Decision does not mention the date/year in the base but it seems that the arms in use all have the date inscribed in the base - either the year only, as "1244", or the full date as "20.07.1244". being the date of a charter granted by King Bela IV first mentioning the town. Differentt color versions are known in use, greeen on white, golden on white and silver on blue.

Željko Heimer, 26 June 2011