Last modified: 2019-01-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: cairns yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 10 December 2018
Estb: 1908. Locations: Marlin Marina and Ellis Beach, Cairns.
Burgee: Pennant circa 3:5 (print image). White field fimbriated green on three sides and charged with the green capital letters CYC over a yellow St. Andrew’s cross.
Source: unknown (BDA file).
"The Cairns Yacht Club has been part of the history of Cairns in one form or another since 1908. During this time, the Club has operated under three names. Initially it was known as the Cairns Aquatic Club, being formed by several of the regions’ business leaders to foster the sport of sailing on Trinity Inlet. . . . In the early years, the Cairns Aquatic Club was responsible for constructing the first navigation tower on Green Island and conducted social sails to “Browns Bay” (now known as Second Beach) on the eastern side of Trinity Inlet, . . .
In the years following World War 2, sailing became a very popular sport on Trinity Bay – particularly during the summer months – with large fleets of 16 and 18 foot skiffs, VJ’s, sharpies, gwens and junior sailing in sabots. With this upsurge in sailing, national and state championships for skiffs were successfully conducted and a name change to Cairns Sailing Club occurred. . . .
In 1977, with keelboat and trailer sailer racing becoming more popular, a move to amalgamate yachting in Cairns was initiated, resulting in the Tropical Catamaran Club, based at Ellis Beach, amalgamating with Cairns Sailing Club to form the new Cairns Yacht Club, housed in the newly renovated and licenced clubhouse. . . .
In 1985, the club successfully conducted the first International Yacht Race in Queensland, from Noumea to Cairns and has assisted the Royal Papua Yacht Club on several occasions in running the Cairns to Port Moresby Yacht Race. . . .
In the Club’s centenary year, 2008, the original clubhouse, home for the Yacht Club for one hundred years, was demolished to make way for waterfront development and the Club was relocated to new premises in the Marlin Marina."
Source: accessed 7 December 2018, https://cairnsyachtclub.com/about/history/
Peter Edwards, 10 December 2018