Last modified: 2016-03-14 by ian macdonald
Keywords: camden council |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jens Pattke, 18 June 2015
Camden Council is a local government area in the south west of the Sydney
metropolitan area, around the town of Camden. From early in European settlement
the prime agricultural land was used for grazing cattle, and in 1805, John
Macarthur was granted the Camden Park estate, where he continued to develop the
Merino wool industry. The council was established in 1889. On the outskirts of
Sydney the council has retained quite a rural character, but is now a
significant urban growth area.
The image above is based on two images posted above by Valentin Poposki from this local news article regarding a flag-flying with neighbouring Campbelltown Council over soccer matches in 2013 [ignore the headline]. A similar article, with image, appeared the following year.
The flag is white, with a coat-of-arms for the council in black or dark green. The arms are divided diagonally (per bend sinister) by two wavy lines, with white field at the top and dark field to the bottom. The white top has two charges, St John's Church and a sheep. The bottom bears a cattle head and a quartered diamond shape, presumably representing coal, and together with the sheep and cattle referring to the early industries of the area. The shield rests on boomerang shape with the words "ADVANCE TO ACHIEVE". The crest is a mural crown, above mantling and ribbons inscribed "THE COUNCIL OF", "CAMDEN", around the date "1889".
The arms have not seen much day-to-day use outside the flag since at least 2005, when the Council's current platypus logo was adopted. The flag, as well as being useful for bets, is seen flying outside the Council offices 'Macaria' in Camden in 2010 in this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/macr237/4569561199/.
Jonathan Dixon, 17 July 2015