This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Monte Hermoso District (Buenos Aires Province, Argentina)

Partido de Monte Hermoso

Last modified: 2020-07-26 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: monte hermoso | partido de monte hermoso | de sol a sol |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Monte Hermoso]
image by Ivan Sache, 19 Jan 2014
See also:

About the district

The municipality of Monte Hermoso (6,494 inhabitants in 2001; 230 sq. km) is located in the southwest of the Buenos Aires Province.

Monte Hermoso was established in the beginning of the 20th century by Esteban Dufaur, on a 400-ha plot purchased by his father, Esteban Sulpicio Dufaur, from Emiliano Baldez. Esteban Dufaur built a stone bridge on river Sauce Grande, still visible at the entrance of the Recreo Viejo estate, the first urban settlement organized in Monte Hermoso. Recreo Viejo was threatened by the permanent movements of the sand dunes. In 1910, Dufaur established the Recreo Nuevo estate, 8 km from the coast, and, subsequently, the La Loma estate. On 1 April 1917, the seamen of the sailing boat "Lucinda Sutton" dropped to the sea the cargo of wooden boards to prevent the ship's capsizing. The boards drifted to the beaches of Monte Hermoso; lacking means to transport the boards, Dufaur purchased the and built the first hotel on the seashore, Hotel Balneario Monte Hermoso. Located 7 km from the town, the hotel, long disappeared, was noted for the elegance of its structure. Monte Hermoso was transferred in 1935 from Bahía Blanca to Coronel Dorrego. The municipality of Monte Hermoso was established on 1 April 1979.

Monte Hermoso is a popular, family-oriented sea resort, with more than 32 km of sand beaches. It is claimed that the average temperature of water is 5°C higher than in the other resorts, due to protection from cold currents provided by the geographical location of the resort.
Ivan Sache, 19 Jan 2014

Other sites:

Description of the flag

The flag of Monte Hermoso can be seen at the municipal website.

Description automatically translated from official site (from Spanish):

    "The design features two horizontal bars on the bottom, in two shades of blue. The top bar represents the sky, the other the sea, in the center of the flag is located a boat in yellow, symbolizing one of the main economic activities, the fishing. The figure of Faro landfall, represented at the top of it and down, in red, are the petals of a flower, a symbol of the National Day of Spring. In the central part of a semicircle of yellow symbolizes the sun in the sea, all composed of a fillet of orange."
Aleksandar Nemet, 31 Jul 2010

The flag of Monte Hermoso is prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 1,888 of 24 April 2010.

The flag is horizontally divided celestial blue-sea blue, with an emblem in the middle.

The flag, selected in a public contest among 126 submissions, was designed by the just married (one week earlier) Roxana Díaz and Maximiliano Di Croce. The jury (Nelly Fossaty, Rosana Sotelo and Daniel Pedroni) first selected 15 proposals and then short-listed 7 contenders. The final design of the flag was established by the Publicity company, already the designer of the "Monte Hermoso de Sol a Sol" logo.

The flag was inaugurated on 13 July 2010.

The upper part of the flag represents the sky, while it lower part represents the sea.The emblem includes a yellow boat, symbolizing fishing, surmounted by the cupola of the Recalada Light*. The boat and the lighthouse are surrounded, at the top, by a yellow half disk representing sundown at sea, and, at the bottom, by flower's petals symbolizing the Spring National Festival, emblematic of local tourism.

* The Recalada Light is located 7 miles west of the mouth of river Sauce Grande and 1.2 mile from the downtown of Monte Hermoso. The light was built to guide ships heading to the Sauce Grande and to the canal serving the port of Bahía Blanca; navigation in the area is made difficult by several sand banks. Inaugurated on 1 January 1906, the light is made of a metallic tubular tower of 67 m in height. Its central cylinder, of 1.50 m in diameter, contains a spiral staircase made of 331 steps. The original lighting system (Barbier process based on incandescent oil vapour) was replaced on 11 July 1928 by the Aga-Dalen automatized system. The light was electrified in February 1974. On 1 January, when celebrating the centenary of the light, an automatic identification system (AIS) was inaugurated, allowing identification of the light by an embarked device.

The 2012 National Flag Day was celebrated in Monte Hermoso by draping the Recalada Light with a national "flag" of 67 m in height and 4.60 m in width. The "flag" weights 60 kg.
Ivan Sache, 19 Jan 2014

Other sites:

Unofficial flag

[Unofficial flag of Monte Hermoso]
image by Ivan Sache, 19 Jan 2014

The "Monte Hermoso de Sol a Sol" logo is used on a white flag, probably unofficial flag.
Ivan Sache, 19 Jan 2014

Other sites:

Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.