Last modified: 2014-08-02 by bruce berry
Keywords: marondera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Arnaud Leroy, 4 Dec 2000
Marondera (known as Marandellas until 1982) is situated 73 km south-east
of the capital, Harare. The municipal flag has a green field in the
centre of which is the full municipal arms.
The town is the centre of a large farming community, the importance of which to the local community is alluded to by the green background. The maize cob in the shield also signifies agriculture and the cog-wheel symbolises industry. The open book and “Torch of Learning” signifies that Marondera is an educational centre. The motto is “FLOREAT MARONDERA” which means “May Marondera Flourish”.
Bruce Berry, 26 Aug 2002
The arms show in the chief symbols for industry and agriculture, whereas
the book denotes the fact that the city is an educational center.
Literature : The municipal heraldry of Zimbabwe, ARMA 1286-1289
info from Ralf Hartemink's website.