This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Orange Free State (Province of South Africa)

(1910-1994) Oranje Vrystaat

Last modified: 2007-07-14 by bruce berry
Keywords: south africa | orange free state | orange river colony |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Orange Free State - introduction

The Orange Free State / Oranje Vrystaat (named after the Orange river, so called after the Dutch royal house) was located in the centre of South Africa and had an international border only with Lesotho.  It included the tiny Bantustan of Qwaqwa on the Lesotho / Natal border.  It coincides with the new (post-1994) Free State province. As a province of South Africa between 1910 and 1994, the Orange Free State had no official provincial flag but the old Boer republic flag (Oranje Vrijstaat) was often used unofficially.
Antonio Martins, 30 May 1999

In addition to Qwaqwa, there was a portion of Bophuthatswana at Thaba Nchu - about 50km east of Bloemfontein - in the old Orange Free State province.
Bruce Berry, 31 May 1999

The Union of South Africa was created on 31 May 1910 comprising the British colonies of the Cape of Good Hope, Natal, Orange River Colony and Transvaal. Each colony became a province of South Africa.   None of the provinces of the Union had an official flag and only the South African national flag was used.  The orange tree in the third quarter of the Arms of the Union (later Republic) of South Africa represented the Orange Free State.
Bruce Berry, 31 May 1999.