This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Rivera Department (Uruguay)

Departamento de Rivera

Last modified: 2009-01-17 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: rivera | rivera (josé fructuoso) | departamento de rivera | castelo cortiñas (cinthia) | contest |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Rivera Department Flag]
by Francisco Gregoric, 20 Jun 2005
See also: Other sites:


The Departamento de Rivera (Rivera Department) is located in the central northern part of Uruguay next to the Brazilian border. Its name is an homage to José Fructuoso Rivera (1784-1854), the first President of Independent Uruguay, and founder of the Partido Colorado.
Francisco Gregoric, 20 Jun 2005

According to Encyclopaedia Universalis Yearbook 1998, the Rivera Department has an area of 9,370 sq. km. Estimated population of the Deparmtent was 97,959 in 1996. The capital city of the Department is Rivera, estimated population 57,316 in 1985 (then the fifth biggest city in Uruguay). Rivera is located on the border with Brazil, facing the Brazilian city of Santana do Livramento (State of Rio Grande do Sul).
Ivan Sache, 25 Jun 2005

Description of the flag

According to, the chronology and characteristics of the flag of the Department of Rivera, Uruguay are the following:

On 30 April 1998, the Mayor of Rivera adopted the rules of the contest for the creation of the local flag.

Then during 14 and 15 September the Jury of the contest met and chose the project of flag designed by Cinthia Castelo Cortiñas. The same 15 September 1998, the Mayor and the local legislature adopted the flag

On 12:00 PM, of the 1 October 1998 (day of of the 114 Anniversary of the creation of the Department of Rivera), the first Rivera Flag was raised by the Mayor Dr. Asdrúbal Vázquez in the "Rincón de la Patria" (Motherland's Place) of Artigas Square of Rivera.

There are three possible dimensions for the flag: 2m X 3m, 1.33m X 2m and 1m X 1.5m (2:3 ratio).

The big blue stripe next to the staff should be ¼ of the total flag length. The nine thin stripes should be of the same wide.

In the 2m X 3m flag the big blue stripe is 0.75 m. Each of the nine thin stripes are 0.25m. The Coat of Arms is 0.45m wide X 0.48m high. The Coat of Arms is located 0.14m from the upper and left borders of the flag, and should have a white fimbriation.

It should be noted that the Coat of Arms in the website has a proportion of 0.45 X 0.58, instead of 0.45 X 0.48. So I think the correct dimensions of the Coat of Arms in the flag could be these ones.
Francisco Gregoric, 20 Jun 2005

Coat of Arms

[Rivera Department Coat of Arms]
by Francisco Gregoric, 20 Jun 2005

According to, the Coat of Arms of the Department of Rivera, was adopted by resolution #6233 of the 13 August, 1938.

The author of the Coat of Arms was Dr. Tell Ramis. It has a tree on the upper left part, the Cerro del Marco (Marco Hill) over a blue camp on the upper right part.

In the middle a red stripe with the name of the department: "RIVERA" in white letters.

At the lower part the nine white and blue stripes of the Uruguayan National Flag.
Francisco Gregoric, 20 Jun 2005

Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.